Are you ready for a new kitchen but the thought of having your meal prep zone and homework hub down for a couple months sends you screaming the other way?
Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Here are 5 ways to mitigate the stress of a remodel – and maybe even make it (gasp) fun!
1. Set clear expectations with all decision makers – what is your end goal?
Take some time to sit down and have a family meeting about the process.
- Are you on the same page with what you are looking to get?
- What do you want from the space?
- Do you know how much you want to spend?
- Do you have the same design goals in mind?
- Do your priorities align?
2. Take notes of things you’d like to change as they become an issue (it’s easy to forget when you’re put on the spot).
Post-holidays are the perfect time to reflect on how the last couple months went, how you used your space, and what tools you were lacking during your holiday prep.
- What is on counter that you wish could be put away?
- What don’t you like about your countertops or cabinets?
- What would your dream kitchen have? It may not be that far off from reality…
- What isn’t functioning for your lifestyle?
- Do you need more storage, counter space, appliances?
3. Just before construction begins, create a temporary kitchen.
It’s time to pull out the camping gear and play a fun little game (maybe more fun for the kids than for the parents…)
- Plastic table.
- Purchase a hot plate (we recommend induction).
- Small fridge or relocate fridge.
- Other small appliances: toaster oven, instant pot, crock pot, hot water pot.
4. Meal plan and keep reminding yourself…it’s only temporary.
Maybe this is the perfect time to try out those Portland restaurants that have long been on your list? Or perhaps plan to head out of town for a weekend or two for a change of scenery.
- Celebrate the end of drywall with a dust-free dinner at your favorite spot.
- Make freezer meals ahead of time that can be cooked in a crock pot.
- Spend more time with family and friends by arranging pot lucks or meals at their homes.
- Plan a variety of fun “easy” meals (instant oatmeal with toppings bar, taco salad night, etc.)
- Get creative with peanut butter sandwiches…Nutella anyone?
5. Hire Us! ???? No, but really.
- We’ll help you step through all the sticking points above.
- We know it is an overwhelming process which is why we guide you through it, from start to finish.
- Our thorough design process helps you prioritize and think through a space that will function the best for you and your family.
- Our job sites are kept clean, with dust protection installed so as to keep the area as tidy as possible.
- We thoroughly communicate our design and production processes, so you know what to expect as we transform your home.
Contact us today to start your remodel process and you’ll be one step closer to the home you’ve always wanted!